The Sleeping and the Dead
In this vivid psychological suspense novel, a diving instructor makes a gruesome discovery in Cranwell Lake - the body of a teenager who has clearly been in the water for many years.
Detective Peter Porteous is called to the scene. After trailing through the missing persons files, he deduces that the corpse is Michael Grey, an enigmatic and secretive young man who was reported missing by his foster parents in 1972.
As the police investigation gets under way in Cranwell, on the other side of the country prison officer Hannah Morton is about to get the shock of her life. For Michael was her boyfriend, and she was with him the night he disappeared.
The news report that a body has been found brings back dreaded and long buried memories from her past...
The Sleeping and the Dead was first published in the UK in 2001. It is now back in print in a new Pan paperback edition, published in September 2013, and available for order from Amazon or from any bookshop or library (ISBN: 978-1-4472-4129-4).
It was published in the US by Bloody Brits Press in January 2008 (ISBN: 978-1-9328-5941-6), and in a Charnwood Large Print edition (ISBN: 978-0-7089-9387-3).
Burial of Ghosts
For Lizzie Bartholomew, a holiday in Morocco will change life forever. But not in the way she had hoped...
Lizzie had planned her trip to Marrakech as the perfect escape from her life - and her nightmares - in Northumberland. Abandoned as a baby, and having spent her childhood moving between foster homes, Lizzie certainly has much to escape from. And for Lizzie, Morocco is the exotic paradise that she had imagined. Especially when she finds herself on a bus sitting next to a fellow tourist, who is also travelling to fulfil his dreams.
After a brief affair, Lizzie returns to England. In the days that follow, she is distracted by thoughts of her mysterious lover, hoping against hope that Philip might come and find her. But suddenly she receives a letter from a firm of solicitors. Philip Samson has died. In his will, he has left Lizzie a gift of £15,000. But there are conditions attached to this unexpected legacy, conditions that will alter the course of Lizzie's life forever...
Burial of Ghosts was first published in 2003. It is now back in print in a new Pan paperback edition, published in September 2013, and is available for order from Amazon or from any bookshop (ISBN: 978-1-4472-4130-0).
The audio edition, read by Anne Dover, is available direct from the publisher, ISIS Soundings in a choice of formats.
The George & Molly books
Ann Cleeves's first book was A Bird in the Hand, published back in 1986, featuring George Palmer-Jones, an elderly birdwatcher - helped by his wife, Molly. It was followed by more George and Molly murder mysteries. These have now all been brought back into print by Bello, Pan MacMillan's digital-only imprint, and are now available as eBooks or print on demand paperbacks.
Ann is very aware of the advances she has made as a writer since these books were published, but they have many admirers: in a review of Dead Water, the New York Times Book Review remarks "her early birding mysteries are classics."
In her online diary, Ann told her younger self "Focus on what you're good at. A BIRD IN THE HAND is a flawed first novel, but you've created some interesting characters and it contains the elements that will work well with you later - a strong sense of place and a traditional mystery with a contemporary twist. DEAD WATER covers the same territory. It explores obsession and fractured families, and both Shetland and North Norfolk have a dramatic landscape, and wild, open spaces." (Read all of Ann's letter to her younger self).
- A Bird in the Hand, first published in 1986, was reissued in August 2013 for Kindle or as a print on demand paperback (ISBN: 978-1-4472-5289-4)
The audio edition, read by Mike Grady, is available in a choice of formats from ISIS Publishing, or as an Audible audio download from Amazon.
- Come Death and High Water, first published in 1988, was reissued in November 2014 for Kindle, as a print on demand paperback (ISBN: 978-1-4472-8906-7)
or as an ISIS Audiobook read by Seán Barrett; also available as an Audible audio download .
- Murder in Paradise, first published in 1988, was reissued in August 2013 for Kindle or as a print on demand paperback (ISBN: 978-1-4472-5295-5)
The audio edition, read by Seán Barrett, is available in a choice of formats from publisher ISIS Publishing or as an Audible audio download from Amazon.
- A Prey to Murder, first published in 1989, was reissued in August 2013 for Kindle or as a print on demand paperback (ISBN: 978-1-4472-5312-9).
- The audio edition, read by Seán Barrett, is available from the publisher in a choice of formats.
- Another Man's Poison, first published in 1992, has been reissued by Bello for Kindle and as a print on demand paperback (ISBN: 978-1-4472-5021-0)
- Sea Fever, first published in 1993, was reissued by Bello in May 2013 for Kindle and as a print on demand paperback (ISBN: 978-1-4472-5019-7).
- The Mill on the Shore, first published in 1994, was reissued by Bello in May 2013 for Kindle and as a print on demand paperback (ISBN: 978-1-4472-5017-3)
- High Island Blues, first published in 1996, was reissued by Bello in May 2013 for Kindle and as a print-on-demand paperback (ISBN: 978-1-4472-5027-2).