Team Vera at the Theakston's Crime-Writing Festival in Harrogate: Steph McGovern, Ann Cleeves, Brenda Blethyn and Kenny Doughty - read all about it in Ann's Diary!
And for a flavour of crime writing events, listen to the Guardian's books podcast, in which Ann and Chris Brookmyre look forward to Bloody Scotland!
- Tuesday, 5th September, 7.00 pm
- Talking about The Seagull at Newton Community Hall, Newton, Northumberland, NE43 7UL
Tickets £5 (includes a glass of wine or soft drink) from Forum Books, Corbridge (telephone 01434 632931)
- Wednesday 6th September, 7.00 pm
- In conversation with Jacky Collins at Waterstones Emerson Chambers, Blackett Street, Newcastle, NE1 7JF
Tickets £3 from Waterstones, online booking or telephone: 0191 261 7757
- Friday 8th September
- Talking about The Seagull at the Word, 45 Market Place, South Shields, NE33 1JF
Prior to Ann's talk, David Hirst from Tynemouth Fine Art Gallery will discuss Painter of the Tyne, an exhibition of paintings by Peter Burns - a preview of the exhibition will begin at 6.15pm before Ann takes to the stage at 7pm
Tickets £3, booking online
- Saturday 9th September, 7.00 pm
Bloody Scotland, Stirling
- Understanding Jimmy Perez with Ann Cleeves and Douglas Henshall, chaired by Jenny Brown
at Albert Halls, Albert Place, Dumbarton Rd, Stirling FK8 2QL
- Tuesday 12th September, 1.00 pm (doors at 12.30 pm)
- A Literary Lunch with Plackitt & Booth Booksellers at Spago Lytham
Tickets £30 from the bookshop include 2 course lunch with drink on arrival, plus a signed hardback copy of The Seagull.
- Tuesday 12th September, 7.30 pm
- An evening with Ann Cleeves at Story House Café, 30 Liverpool Road, Crosby, L23 2SF
Tickets £4.00 (redeemable against the cost of book) from Pritchards Bookshop,13 Moor Lane, Crosby, Merseyside, L23 2SE
- Wednesday 13th September, 7.30 pm
- Talking about The Seagull at Kendal Library, Stricklandgate, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 4PY
Tickets available from the library, £2 (redeemable against the price of the book, purchased at the event)
- Thursday 14th September, 3.00 pm
- Afternoon tea at Carlisle Library, 11 Globe Lane, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 8NX
Tickets available from the library, £4 (includes afternoon tea)
- Thursday 14th September, 7.00 pm
- Cockermouth Bookshop hosts an evening with Ann Cleeves at URC Hall, Main Street, Cockermouth CA13 9LU
- Friday 15th September, 7.00 pm
- Olives at The Station, Whitley Bay Metro Station, Station Square, Whitley Bay NE26 2QT
Tickets £5.00 (includes one free drink and canapés) available from Olives at the Station, telephone: 0191 447 1313
- Saturday 16th September
A Day of Events at Alnwick Garden
- Deadly Explorations In Nature: 2.00 - 3.00 pm
- Guided tour of the Poison Garden by Professor Lorna Dawson, specialist in soil forensics, and Professor of Forensic Pathology James Grieve. more details of 'Deadly Explorations In Nature', including online booking
- Murder She Wrote: 4.00 - 5.00 pm
- The Facts and Fiction in Crime Writing: in conversation with forensic expert Professor Lorna Dawson and Professor of Forensic Pathology James Grieve. Tickets £15, includes entry to the Garden: more details of 'Murder She Wrote', including online booking
- Come Die with Me: 7.00 - 11.00 pm
- An extra special murder mystery written exclusively by Ann Cleeves and Lorna Dawson for The Alnwick Garden. Within the confines of The Alnwick Garden there lies a beautiful, majestic and peaceful atmosphere... until, that is, the night of the murder! Tickets £55, includes dinner and a signed hardback book: more details of Come Die With Me', including online booking
- Wednesday 20th September, 7.00 pm
- Talk and signing hosted by Winstone Books at Cheap Street Church, Cheap St, Sherborne DT3 3BJ
Tickets £5.00 available from the bookshop
- Thursday 21st September, 1.00pm
- An Afternoon of Crime with Ann Cleeves, Chris Ewan and Clare Donoghue at Exeter Library: join Ann and her friends for afternoon tea and find out more about writing and the facts behind crime fiction. Ann, Chris and Clare will also be signing copies of their books.
Tickets are £3.00, (includes cream tea), available from Exeter Library in person, by phone 01392 384218 or e-mail:
In association with Winstone's Books in Sidmouth
- Thursday 21st September, 7.30 pm
- An Evening of Crime - Ann Cleeves with Chris Ewan and Clare Douglas, at St John's Hall, Alverton Rd, Penzance, TR18 2QW
Tickets £5.00 from the Edge of the World Bookshop, 23 Market Jew Street, Penzance, TR18 2HR, telephone: (01736) 365 607 or book online.
- Friday 22nd September, 3.00 pm
- Afternoon tea at Tiverton Library, Phoenix House, Phoenix Ln, Tiverton, EX16 6SA
Tickets £4.00 (to include tea and cake) available from Tiverton Library, telephone: 01884 244644
- Saturday 23rd September, 2.30 pm
- In conversation with Judi Spiers at Appledore Festival, St Mary's Church, Churchfield Rd, Appledore, Bideford EX39 1RL
- Thursday 12th - Sunday 15th October
- Bouchercon, Toronto, followed by a Canadian tour.
- Wednesday 1st - Saturday 4th November
- Ann will be at the SILK Festival, Skudeneshavn, Norway from Friday 3rd - Monday 6th November
Ann Cleeves has written a murder mystery based around a traditional Shetland Sunday tea, especially for librarians and booksellers who would like to host their own murder mystery party. There's a script for four actors (with a guest appearance from detective Jimmy Perez), and - for a really authentic experience! - there are recipes for Shetland homebakes!
Look out for a 'Blood on the Bannocks' event near you - or find out how you can stage your own!