Ann Cleeves has written a murder mystery based around a traditional Shetland Sunday tea, especially for librarians and booksellers who would like to host their own murder mystery party. There's a script for four actors (with a guest appearance from detective Jimmy Perez), and - for a really authentic experience! - there are recipes for Shetland homebakes!
Look out for a 'Blood on the Bannocks' event near you - or find out how you can stage your own!
And for a flavour of crime writing events, listen to the Guardian's books podcast, in which Ann and Chris Brookmyre look forward to Bloody Scotland!
- Friday 23rd June, 7.00 pm
- Blood on the Bannocks Murder Mystery dinner at The Georgian House
Tickets £35, available from The Georgian House 01481 822471 / .
Come dressed for the occasion i.e. living on a small, isolated, windswept island (somewhere like Shetland - or even Alderney!).
More information from Alderney Literary Trust.
- Wednesday 28th June, 7.30pm
- Blood on the Bannocks Murder Mystery party at Cullercoats Crescent Club (call 0191 280 2625 for further information)
Tickets £8 each, includes a light buffet supper - all proceeds to North Shields Fishermen's Mission
Tickets can be bought from three locations:
- The Waterfront, Fish & Chip takeaway, Union Quay North Shields,
- Old Low Light Heritage Centre, Clifford's Fort, Fish Quay, North Shields
- Or North Shields Fishermen's Mission, Fish Quay, North Shields (tel: 0191 257 1316)
- Thursday 20th - Sunday 23rd July
- Theakston's Old Peculier Crime Writing Festival at the Old Swan Hotel, Harrogate: Ann is on a panel at 10.00 am on Sunday 23rd July, talking about VERA with Brenda Blethyn, Kenny Doughty and interviewed by Steph McGovern.
- Wednesday 6th September, 7.00 pm
- Talking about The Seagull at Waterstones, Newcastle,
- Friday 8th - Sunday 10th September
- Bloody Scotland, Stirling
- Tuesday 12th September, 1.00 pm (doors at 12.30 pm)
- A Literary Lunch with Plackitt & Booth Booksellers at Gusto Lytham
Tickets £30 from the bookshop include 2 course lunch with drink on arrival, plus a signed hardback copy of The Seagull.
- Thursday 12th - Sunday 15th October
- Bouchercon, Toronto, followed by a Canadian tour.
- Wednesday 1st - Saturday 4th November
- Ann will be at the SILK Festival, Skudeneshavn, Norway from Friday 3rd - Monday 6th November